Johnson & Johnson
Next up is Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), a health care products stock that takes the No. 5 spot on the Dogs of the Dow list thanks to a 3.5% dividend yield. I like to say that Johnson & Johnson is the "prototypical blue-chip stock " -- the firm boasts a large, defensible business, a massive hoard of cash (around $12.6 billion net) and name recognition that few firms enjoy.
All of those factors make JNJ a firm that investors shouldn't ignore.Johnson & Johnson's business includes everything from consumer products like Band-Aid brand bandages to pharmaceuticals and medical devices. While that pharma exposure comes with the same concerns we're seeing at MRK and PFE, outsized consumer exposure dramatically reduces that risk. Right now, pharmaceuticals make up just over a third of JNJ's sales, versus more than 90% at Pfizer, for example. That makes this firm a solid core income holding for investors searching out Dow Dogs for their portfolios. I also featured Johnson & Johnson, one of the highest-yielding drug stocks, in 5 Cash-Rich Stocks to Buy in 2012. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV