With a dividend yield that weighs in at 5.5%, telco giant AT&T (T) is the highest-yielding Dow name by a long shot. And outperformance has been the result: In the last year, AT&T has beaten its home index by around 7% when dividends are factored in. That performance looks primed to continue in 2012.
AT&T owns the largest cellular carrier business in the country, a fact that's often lost on investors. While top rival Verizon (VZ) has more subscribers, the firm only owns 55% of its cellular cash cow, versus AT&T's 100% ownership of AT&T Mobility. Early adoption of the iPhone left AT&T with a massive chunk of higher-return smartphone customers, which, when coupled with the firm's legacy landline business, throws off serious cash flows.That should help guarantee that AT&T's payouts keep flowing in the future. AT&T shows up on a recent list of 10 Dividend Stocks Still Paying Outsized Yields. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV