NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - The Walt Disney (DIS) owned sports-empire ESPN may soon have a rivalry as big as Yankees-Red Sox to talk about. Media giant News Corp (NWSA) is said to be planning a sports channel of its own.
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. is in talks to develop an all-sports network to challenge the ESPN empire, according to Bloomberg, citing sources with knowledge of the situation.
News Corp. is currently assembling the rights from pay-TV carriers and sports teams, although nothing is final, Bloomberg reported. The media giant may decide to rebrand its Fuel network, which already caters towards action sports, as a competitor to ESPN. Fuel is available to 36 million homes currently. News Corp. is said to have clearance from DirecTV (DTV), according to two people close to the matter.
ESPN has been a juggernaut for Disney since it acquired Capital Cities/ABC Television in 1996. In the most recent quarter, ESPN drove an increase of $196 million in operating income for the Cable Network segment of Disney, bringing the quarterly total to $967 million.Both News Corp. and ESPN did not immediately return calls regarding the matter. Disney shares closed down 64 cents, or 1.45%, at $43.51 on Wednesday. News Corp.'s stock ended the day down 51 cents, or 2.52%, at $19.74. Interested in more on News Corp.? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Bloomberg reports that News Corp. is in the planning stages to develop an all sports network, and compete with ESPN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV