BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) â¿¿ Mitsubishi Corp. of Japan will pay $95 million for a 25 percent interest in a Montana company's proposed copper and platinum mine in Canada.
Stillwater Mining Co. of Billings says the partnership with Mitsubishi will help finance an open-pit mine near Marathon, Ontario. Mine development costs are estimated at $550 million to $650 million.
The company projects initial annual production of about 200,000 ounces of platinum and palladium and 37 million pounds of copper.
Mitsubishi has an option to purchase 100 percent of the mine's platinum metals.Stillwater operates the only platinum and palladium mines in the U.S. in south-central Montana. The metals are used in vehicle catalytic converters and for jewelry. Stillwater shares fell 4 percent to $12.25 in Thursday morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV