Early Allergy Season: Sneezing Your Way to Profit
By Stephanie Landsman, Producer, "Squawk Box"
NEW YORK (CNBC) --While allergy sufferers pay the price for a warmer than usual winter, profits will likely bloom for pharmaceutical companies. So stop and smell the roses. This could provide a healthy boost to your portfolio.
It's only March and pollen counts are setting record highs all over the Southeast. In New York City, trees are blooming several weeks ahead of schedule.
"An early start to the allergy season is always good for the large pharmaceutical companies that manufacture allergy meds," said Paul Walsh, vice president of weather analytics at the Weather Channel. "This year's mild winter followed by record spring warmth is manna from heaven for these firms." (Note: The Weather Channel is owned by NBCUniversal, CNBC's corporate parent.)
More from CNBC
'Solar Flare-Ups': Petitions Over UFOs and Weather Cuts
Did a Tax-Budget Battle Almost Kill the US in 1812?
Hamptons 'Beach Pass Barometer': Economic Rebound Sign?
--Written by Stephanie Landsman at CNBC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV