This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Health Insurers Hang on Big Supreme Court Day

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Wednesday about severability and Medicaid expansion.

Wednesday marks the third and final day of hearings as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare, will be debated for two-and-a-half hours.

The court debated on Tuesday the constitutionality of an individual mandate -- Congress' ability to demand almost every American to have health insurance or else pay a penalty. If the justices strike down the mandate, there would still be other parts of the health care law to consider keeping.

That's where severability enters the discussion, because if the Supreme Court rules an individual mandate unconstitutional then it must consider if Congress would have intended to pass the law without that stipulation.

"It [Wednesday hearings] is an opportunity, basically, to remind the court about the implications of striking down the individual mandate," said Greg Magarian, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis who clerked for former Associate Justice John Paul Stevens. "One of the themes that the government keeps hitting on is all of this stuff fits together."

Magarian said the argument of severability returns to the government's argument on Tuesday that it needed the individual mandate in order to accomplish important market regulation.

The government agreed to write the individual mandate in order to convince companies like UnitedHealth Group (UNH - Get Report), Aetna (AET - Get Report) and Cigna (CI - Get Report) to comply with Obamacare's rule that health care companies provide care without regard to pre-existing conditions.

Also at stake Wednesday is the question of the expansion of Medicaid that the 26 states opposing Obamacare have said would put undue cost pressure on the expanded number of Americans the states would have to extend the program to.

The federal government must pay for all newly eligible Medicaid individuals through 2016 and pay 90% of the burden (the other 10% taken on by the states) starting in 2020.

If the Medicaid expansion is struck down, it could hurt managed care companies exposed to the program.

"We think that this argument probably is the least convincing, but certainly if for some reason the Medicaid expansion were deemed overly coercive to the states ... that would be a negative for any managed care company that participates in Medicaid," said Matthew Coffina, senior health care analyst at Morningstar.
1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AET $112.27 -2.06%
CI $138.54 -1.00%
MOH $51.76 -19.40%
UNH $131.68 -0.30%
AAPL $93.74 -1.15%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,773.64 -57.12 -0.32%
S&P 500 2,065.30 -10.51 -0.51%
NASDAQ 4,775.3580 -29.9330 -0.62%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs