Euro Higher, but News Remains Negative
NEW YORK (BBH FX Strategy) -- The dollar is mixed, with most of the losses coming against the European currencies. The euro made a new high for this move vs. the dollar on Tuesday but so far has been unable to build on it. Support appears to be building for a larger European Financial Stability Facility/European Stability Mechanism firewall ahead of this week's eurozone finance ministers meeting.
The Irish referendum is now set for May 31 and the latest polls indicate it will pass. Italy had a well received T-bill auction, but Prime Minister Mario Monti's support is flagging in latest polls and suggests difficulties ahead in pushing through labor reforms. Near-term resistance expected to come in near 1.34 and then 1.348, while support lies around 1.33.
Sterling is broadly weaker, declining the most in five weeks against the euro after UK fourth-quarter GDP contracted a worse-than-expected -0.3% quarter over quarter. The dollar is flat against the yen, trading to a recent low of 82.61 before recovering back above the 83 level.
Strains to the SystemNumerous eurozone developments Wednesday are worth mentioning. All in all, we think the news stream underscores the same elements still weighing on the eurozone, as weak growth and strains in the financial system keep the debt crisis alive. The euro so far has been unable to sustain Tuesday's break higher and may test support around 1.33. Headline eurozone M3 growth picked up in February to 2.8% year over year from 2.5% in January. However, private sector loans were weaker at 0.7% year over year vs. 1.1% in January.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV