UniFirst Corporation (NYSE: UNF) today announced results for its second quarter of fiscal 2012, which ended on February 25, 2012. Revenues for the quarter were $310.0 million, up 11.3% from $278.6 million for the second quarter a year ago. Net income was $19.2 million ($0.96 per diluted common share), compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2011 when net income was $16.3 million ($0.82 per diluted common share).
For the first six months, revenues were $623.0 million, up 12.9% from $551.7 million in the prior year. Net income was $45.0 million ($2.26 per diluted common share), compared to the first half of fiscal 2011 when net income was $40.0 million ($2.02 per diluted common share).
Core laundry revenues for the quarter were $277.2 million, up 12.3% from those reported in the same period in fiscal 2011. Excluding the effects of acquisitions and a slightly weaker Canadian dollar, core laundry revenues increased 11.2%. Income from operations for this segment grew 18.9% compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2011. As a percentage of revenues, income from operations also increased to 9.9% from 9.3% a year ago.
Ronald D. Croatti, UniFirst President and Chief Executive Officer said, “We are very pleased with the quarterly results of our core laundry operations which account for approximately 89% of our consolidated revenues. The continuing impact of higher merchandise amortization as a percentage of revenues in this segment was more than offset by positive operating leverage produced by the strong top line growth.”Revenues for the Specialty Garments segment, which consists of nuclear decontamination and cleanroom operations, were $23.5 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 and fiscal 2011. Income from operations for this segment decreased to $2.6 million in the quarter compared to $3.7 million a year earlier. The decrease was due to higher costs of revenues in the quarter compared to a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV