TELUS urges Canadians to go beyond the hour and champion environmental sustainability year-round
VANCOUVER, March 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - On Saturday night, TELUS and its team members will support Earth Hour 2012 by turning out the lights for 60 minutes, urging Canadians to take part and continue to discover new ways of protecting our environment.
On March 31 TELUS will turn off all non-essential lights at 8:30 p.m. local time at 27 of its major buildings across Canada in response to Earth Hour 2012's global call to action to address climate change.
"By participating in Earth Hour, we are joining the global village in raising awareness of the need for us to work as one to support our environment," said Josh Blair, executive vice-president, TELUS Human Resources. "Earth Hour is yet another way for the TELUS team to stand and be counted as we continue to do our part each and every day to contribute to environmental sustainability."TELUS is also inviting its 40,000 team members to get involved and turn out the lights and other electricity-consuming devices in their homes during the same time on Saturday night in support of the cause. Last year, hundreds of millions of people in more than 120 countries and territories around the globe participated in Earth Hour. More on Earth Hour can be found online at www.earthhour.org. Thinking green at TELUS TELUS has made green initiatives a company priority.
- TELUS is targeting a 25 per-cent reduction in CO 2 emissions and a 10 per cent reduction in energy consumption by 2020, over 2009 levels.
- In 2011, TELUS donated $262,625 to help Tree Canada plant nearly 100,000 trees across the country.
- In 2011, TELUS was recognized by Tree Canada as an Ultimate sponsor for having donated more than $1 million since 2000. TELUS has assisted Tree Canada in planting more than 332,633 trees since the partnership began.
- TELUS recycled and repurposed 236,390 wireless phones and smartphones in 2011.
- This month, TELUS switched its office printing paper to a new variety with 50 per cent post-consumer recycled content.
- TELUS continues to be on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index every year, one of only three telecoms in North America to be listed.
- TELUS is a top 50 Corporate Citizen, according to Corporate Knights.
- By 2015, 70 per cent of TELUS employees will work at home or on a mobile basis at least part-time, reducing the need for commuting in vehicles.
- TELUS continues to cultivate a culture of corporate social responsibility through the TELUS Green Teams - the company's national network of environmentally conscious team members who volunteer their time to promote sustainability at work and at home. There are 15 TELUS Green Teams across Canada.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV