The mobile search market has proved to be elusive in terms of generating revenue, despite it accounting for 15% of total Chinese search queries. Baidu may also be strengthening its position in the mobile market. CNET, for example, reported that Apple (AAPL) may integrate the Chinese tech giant into its iOS for search. That relationship may expand, as Apple's new iPad was just granted regulatory approval in China.
There's still significant opportunity to monetize mobile search in China, as well as surrounding countries, such as Korea. JP Morgan analyst Sungmin Chang notes that Baidu is gaining share in Korea. Chang explains that Internet growth in Korea has "seen unparalleled smartphone penetration growth since 2009." JP Morgan rates Baidu shares "overweight."
Noted investors such as Tiger Global Management's Chase Coleman, SAC Capital's Steve Cohen, and JAT's John Thaler own large positions in Baidu. Baidu shares are up 31.7% year-to-date.
---View the rest of SAC Capital's portfolio.Baidu is the dominant player in a country with a population over 1 billion and a burgeoning middle class that is increasingly using the Internet. Investors may want to take another look to China if they want to find the "next Google." Shares of Baidu are up $2.35, or 1.56%, to $153.15 in Tuesday trading. Interested in more on Baidu? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV