Gary Steele, Landec’s Chairman and CEO, commented, "We had a very good third quarter. Our Apio value-added business grew revenues 18% during the quarter based on a significant increase in the fresh-cut vegetable business unit volume sales due to new distribution gains and good produce sourcing during the quarter that resulted from normal weather patterns. Pre-tax income for Apio and Windset combined grew $5.4 million during the third quarter compared to last year’s third quarter due to increased sales and margins in its value-added vegetable business and the contribution from our investment in Windset Farms. Although revenues in our Lifecore biomaterials business were down $1.1 million compared to the third quarter of last year as a result of the timing of shipments, for fiscal year 2012 Lifecore is expected to exceed last year's revenues and meet or exceed its pre-tax income plan for fiscal year 2012."
Nine Months Results
Revenues for the first nine months of fiscal year 2012 increased $26.3 million, or 13%, to $234.9 million compared to revenues of $208.6 million for the same period a year ago. Net income for the first nine months increased 49% to $9.9 million or $0.38 per diluted share compared to net income of $6.7 million or $0.25 per diluted share for the same period last year.
The increase in revenues during the first nine months of fiscal year 2012 compared to the first nine months of fiscal year 2011 resulted from: (1) a $17.6 million, or 14%, increase in Apio’s value-added business, (2) a $9.7 million, or 20%, increase in Apio’s export business, and (3) a $458,000, or 2%, increase in Lifecore’s biomaterials business. These increases in revenue were partially offset by a $1.4 million decrease in revenues in our Technology Licensing business primarily due to the termination of the Monsanto licensing agreement at the end of the second quarter of fiscal year 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV