Blind bullishness is dangerous and, therefore, aggressive and conservative investors should have these factors in mind when prepping their portfolios for the road head. Dividend-paying equity ETFs like the iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend Index Fund (DVY) or the Vanguard Dividend ETF (VIG) offer jittery investors a chance to maintain stock exposure while protecting against a potential correction.
Meanwhile, investors can boost their level of safety by paring back exposure to excessively risky emerging markets. Single nation products like the iShares MSCI Thailand Investable Market Index Fund (THD) or the Market Vectors Brazil Small Cap Index ETF (BRF) may be enticing during periods of relentless upward action. However, if clouds gather, instruments like EEM and VWO may be better choices. Their globally diversified investing strategies can help mitigate downward action.
The road ahead may not be perfectly smooth, but ultimately I do not feel that we should be heading for the exits here. By refocusing attention towards slightly less risky instruments, it is possible for even the most fearful investors to ride out a potential squall.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.Readers Also Like: >> 18 Dividend Stocks That Will Outlive the Hype >> Time to Invest in Industrials
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV