The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- China, the world's largest mobile market by subscriber base, saw a 1.23 % increase in mobile subscribers February to close in on the billion subscriber mark.
China has about 144 million 3G subscribers out of a total of 999.7 million mobile phone users. While this 14.4% penetration is still low, it is more than double the penetration levels from a year ago. With 3G services seeing strong demand and penetration levels still low, we see the dominant player in the mobile semiconductor industry, Qualcomm (QCOM), benefiting hugely from an increased penetration of 3G smartphones.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV