3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: March 26
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Health reform arrives at The Supreme Court. Two years after passage, President Barack Obama's health care reform is before the Supreme Court, which is to decide whether Congress is entitled to make such laws, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The court will listen to three days of arguments regarding the law's constitutionality. A ruling is expected in late June.
Separately, the National Council of Chain Restaurants has weighed in on how Congress could rewrite the law so as not to hurt restaurant operators' profit, according to QSR.The primary concern is the law's definition of 30 hours a week as full-time work, as well as the short waiting periods before new workers are eligible for coverage, which is likely to eat into restaurant profits. "You're going to see a dramatic shift from full-time work to part-time work, and you're going to see a dramatic shift in hiring in terms of fewer positions in restaurants, particularly chain restaurants," says Rob Green, the NCCR's executive director. 2. Workaholics, try banning your smartphones to be more productive. Here's the trick: This advice is for after work hours -- at least once a week -- to be happier and ultimately more productive at work, according to the Daily Mail. According to a research by Harvard Business School, "imposing a ban on staff from checking their BlackBerrys, iPhones or any device just one evening a week can lead to improvements in happiness and performance at work," the article says. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV