Facebook Adds IBM Patents to Its Defenses
NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- Facebook has been in the news a lot in the last couple of months.
It is preparing to go public, in what would be one of the biggest Internet IPOs of all time. At the same time, it has been targeted by Yahoo! (YHOO) with patent infringement lawsuits.
It has also been sued by a Canadian IT company and could possibly be sued by AOL (AOL) soon.Check out our complete analysis of Facebook.
Facebook's Patent Purchases Will Help Ward Off LawsuitsBecause Facebook is a relatively young company, it hardly has any significant patents to protect itself. Currently it has just 56 issued patents and about 503 patent applications in the U.S. In order to strengthen its defenses against patent litigation, Facebook has acquired more than 750 patents from IBM (IBM), which should presumably help it countersue the companies gunning for it, and enter cross licensing agreements instead of paying settlement fees or damages to them. IBM has done such patent deals in the past, selling around 1,000 patents to Google (GOOG) in 2010 to help Google defend itself and its Android device partners against lawsuits. We currently have a $74 billion valuation for Facebook based on the discounted cash flow valuation of its advertising and virtual good transactions businesses. It is expected to raise more than $5 billion at a $100 billion valuation in its upcoming IPO. Click here to find out how a company's products impact its stock price at Trefis Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis Wordpress Plugin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV