BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Mr. Market is returning to rally mode this morning, and he's got help from hedge funds. So far, the S&P 500 has rallied more than 11% in 2012, and professional investors are starting to take the hint.
In the trailing five months, hedge funds have been winding out bearish positions and buying stocks at their fastest rate in two years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That's a good sign for stocks as we head toward April. As demand moves into the equity market, large hedge funds' $13 trillion in assets could help to propel share prices higher.
And now, with the S&P sitting within throwing distance of an all-time high, there are some major psychological implications for traders. Plenty of eyes are on 1400 to start the week as the index attempts to hold a price level that's as of yet only really been flirted with in March. It's likely that a push above 1400 would bring some money from the sidelines back into active buying -- and with hedge funds already buying with both hands, that's a move that could give this rally some serious staying power.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV