Dollar Firm, but Market Lacks Conviction
NEW YORK ( BBH FX Strategy) -- The U.S. dollar is broadly firmer against the major currencies to start the week, but it remains well confined to ranges seen at the end of last week.
The market lacks conviction after shrugging off the disappointing European flash purchasing managers' index reports last week. Even though Italian and Spanish bonds are firmer Monday, outperforming Germany, we detect a deterioration of conditions in Europe and are concerned about a flare-up in tensions after the market gets through the quarter-end portfolio adjustments.
Today's developments include a better-than-expected German IFO business-climate-index reading (109.8 vs. consensus 109.6) and an increase in Italian consumer confidence (96.8 in March, the highest since last July, from 94.4 in February). There are also signs that Germany will relent at the finance ministers meeting at the end of the week and allow the European Financial Stability Facility and the European Stability Mechanism to run simultaneously. The increase, however, will likely be temporary and once the EFSF expires in the middle of next year the available bail-out funds will be limited again to the money set aside for the ESM.
Four ObservationsWe share four important observations to begin this week, the last of the first quarter. First, we expect politics to be a more important driver in Q2. This past weekend's developments are but a small taste of things to come. There were three electoral developments, two taking place in Asia. In Hong Kong, the election committee picked Leung Chun Ying as the next leader replacing Donald Tsang. China has promised Hong Kong direct leadership elections in 2017, so at least on paper this could be the last elite-picked leader.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV