Updated with stock movement on Monday and TheStreet Ratings information.
|'The Hunger Games' helps Lions Gate shares rise on Monday.|
The Hunger Games' opening weekend is the third-best opening weekend for a movie to date and the highest revenue-making opening weekend for a non-sequel, according to The Associated Press.
The two movie openings that topped The Hunger Games were Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II and The Dark Knight, the AP reported."This is the birth of a franchise," head of Lions Gate Entertainment's (LGF), David Spitz, told the AP. "To launch in this fashion is mindboggling." The movie helped shares of the production company hit a 52-week high of $16.19 last Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings gives Lions Gate Entertainment a C grade and a hold rating. The stock has risen 81.49% year to date. Readers of TheStreet anticipated the movie would make more than $100 million its first weekend with 119 of the 143 poll voters estimating that amount. Some analysts estimated that the movie would make around $110 million its opening weekend. What do you think of The Hunger Game's opening take? Tell us in the comment section below. -- Written by Alexandra Zendrian
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Alexandra Zendrian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV