The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( ETF Expert) -- In the first two months of the year, SPDR Dow Jones Industrials (DIA) garnered 6.5% and the underlying benchmark made a successful run at 13000. It was a phenomenally fast start that persuaded many investors with cash on the sidelines to reconsider.
Perhaps surprisingly, foreign stock ETFs dramatically outperformed domestic counterparts in January and February. For example, Vanguard Emerging Markets (VWO) raked in 16.8%, Market Vectors Brazil Small Cap (BRF) rocketed 27.9% and Wisdom Tree India Earnings (EPI) catapulted 31%. In essence, the "risk trade" was striking Madonna's vogue pose.
However, things changed in the month of March and the mainstream media seemed to miss it. Even as the S&P 500 topped 1400 - and even as the Nasdaq surpassed 3000 -- significant risk assets were starting to slide.Specifically, energy and materials stocks dipped; small-cap U.S. stocks waned. And most notably of all, emerging market equities everywhere responded poorly to weak demand from China. Personally, I don't view potential contraction in China's manufacturing sector or uncertainty over a so-called property bubble as alarming. On the contrary. I believe Chinese authorities will exert their fiscal firepower in the form of a direct stimulus package and People's Bank leaders will lower interest rates and cash reserve requirements as needed. Ultimately, that will benefit investors in certain aspects of the emerging market space. However, I am troubled by economic contraction in Europe as well as the burdensome rise in Spanish bond yields. With eurozone PMI declining to 48.7 in March, and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV