Crisis: Losing Your Sense of Adventure
Midlife crises present themselves stereotypically with a fast new convertible (among men at least), and while Foss has seen what can happen when those cars become impulse buys, that doesn't mean she won't help her clients achieve their dream of turning heads on the highway.
"Usually it's a car that they want to restore or one that has already been restored, or one that goes really fast," Foss says. "If it's a Porsche I tell them to go used. Do a little homework and you see that there are cars that are 1 to 3 years old; you can get a great car probably with very little mileage for a much better price."Of course, there's more to a Porsche than the sticker price. Insurance will cost an average of more than $2,000 a year, depending on where you live, and gas could easily top $3,000 a year depending on how much it's driven. Add to that maintenance and repair costs and you've got an indulgence that can cost upwards of $15,000 extra after five years, as with this example of a used 2009 Porsche 911. Plenty of midlifers save on some of those costs and still regain their sense of adventure with a cheaper and more fuel-efficient Harley (HOG) or a Tesla (TSLA) Roadster, but Foss says the Porsche is still in pole position. "I don't get as much interest in Harleys as I used to," Foss says. "I don't know if it's just out of fashion or what, but I still get the Porsches. There's just no interest in electric cars or hybrids for these kinds of clients." With Lexus (TM), BMW, Mercedes (DAI) and, yes, Porsche all getting in on the luxury hybrid game though, brand-conscious midlifers may indeed find themselves with some cheaper options to buy new.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV