Crisis: Looking Older
The most overt aspect of aging is, of course, aging. Americans' increasing concern with sagging body parts fueled a 5% increase in cosmetic surgical procedures in 2011, with eyelid surgery and facelifts fueling the trend, according to the latest statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
"We are seeing notable increases in surgical procedures, such as facelifts, that reflect the demands of an aging boomer population," ASPS President Malcolm Z. Roth, MD, said in a press release.In 2010 Americans spent more than $10 billion on cosmetic surgery, and with procedures like tummy tucks or nose jobs routinely costing $4,000 to $5,000, it's no wonder that Foss has found some ways to do it on the cheap. "One client I had in San Diego wanted to lose some weight with a newer procedure that involves folding the stomach on itself, and after looking into it we found that that same procedure was 40% cheaper on the other side of the border," she says. "It all went perfectly and it was literally only 20 miles from San Diego." While some might flinch at the combination of "surgery" and "Mexico", enough research helped Foss find the right doctor, who operated a practice in the U.S. as well as in Mexico, and arrange for a driver and accommodations for the recovery that made the experience as smooth as it would have been anywhere, at a huge cost savings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV