NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of AOL (AOL) shares spiked higher on Friday after a media report that the company has hired Evercore Partners (EVR) to find a buyer for its patents and explore other strategic options.
Citing three people with knowledge of the matter, Bloomberg reported that AOL had engaged the investment banking advisory firm to find a purchaser for its more than 800 patents.
|AOL is seeking a buyer for its patents, according to Bloomberg|
The Internet giant's stock surged after the report appeared, closing up 72 cents, or 4.05%, at $18.49 on Friday.
AOL has not yet responded to the TheStreet's request for comment on this story. Evercore Partners declined to comment.Citing its sources, Bloomberg also reported that private equity firms, including Providence Equity Partners, TPG Capital, and Silver Lake, have approached AOL about taking the New York-based company private. Silver Lake, TPG Capital and Providence Equity Partners all declined to comment on this story. Shares of AOL, which has wrestled with subscriber losses, were up 14 cents, or 0.76%, to $18.63 in extended trading on Friday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV