NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- MF Global (MF) CEO Jon Corzine gave "direct instructions" to transfer $200 million from a customer fund account to meet an overdraft at one of its JPMorgan Chase (JPM)accounts in London, Bloomberg News reported, citing a memo drafted by Congressional investigators.
The memo cited an email written by the firm's treasure Edith O'Brien on October 28, three days before the firm filed for bankruptcy, saying that the transfer was as " Per JC's direct instructions."
O'Brien has been subpoenaed by lawmakers to testify at a third hearing on the events that led to the firm's failure along with two other employees identified as having knowledge about the transfer, according to the report.
Corzine said in testimony before Congress last year that he had no idea where the over $1 billion in missing customer money was and that he did not "intentionally" instruct anyone to transfer customer funds.However CME chief Terrence Duffy testified last year that auditors at the CME had learned from an employee that Corzine had knowledge of the loan to the European affiliate. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV