The broad indexes saw slight gains, although the Census Bureau reported that sales of new single-family homes fell 1.6% during February to a 313,000 seasonally adjusted annual rate, from a downwardly revised January rate of 318,000, capping a weak of generally negative housing reports.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rose 1% to close at 49.52, with 20 of the 24 index components ending the week with gains.
Morgan Stanley's shares have now returned 35% year-to-date.The stock trade for nine times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $2.36 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, and for a heavily discounted 0.7 times the firm's reported Dec. 30 tangible book value of $27.95. Credit Suisse analyst Howard Chen on Friday reiterated his "Outperform" rating for Morgan Stanley, with a price target of $26, while lowering his 2012 EPS estimate to 75 cents from $1.50, "due entirely to the incorporation" of an expected $2.2 billion in debit valuation adjust losses during the first quarter. Chen said his believed Morgan Stanley's "franchise restoration, healthier market conditions and the absence of new negatives from here could drive share price outperformance." Interested in more on Morgan Stanley? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV