Potts, though, notes that software has the highest margin contribution to HP's bottom line. "It's not necessarily as much about what the revenue of it is," he said. "The actual contribution [of software] to the profit and EPS of the company is significant."
HP's Software operating margin was 17.1% during its most recent quarter, well above other, much larger, divisions such as its Personal Systems Group (PSG), Imaging and Printing Group (IPG) and Enterprise Servers, Storage and Networking (ESSN).
IBM, though, has an even larger software margin. Big Blue's software pre-tax margin, which is similar to operating margin, but includes certain expenses, was 43.7% during the quarter. IBM's Software Group enjoyed a gross profit margin of 89.8%. HP does not provide a gross profit margin for its individual business segments.
HP shares have dipped 9.16% this year, while IBM's stock has gained 11.8%.--Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV