NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The media is where complexity goes to die and FedEx (FDX) reported complex earnings. The delivery giant is often seen as an economic bellwether, so it's important to get it right. Yet, too many in the media got it wrong.
For its 3rd quarter, FedEx reported earnings that beat expectations, though revenues were a bit light. The company subsequently lowered expectations for the rest of this year, but raised them ever so slightly for next.
Got that? Seriously, look in the dictionary under "mixed bag" and you'll probably see FedEx. So how did the media capture that complexity? You didn't really ask that, did you?The stock went down, so too many headlines--rather than capturing reality--merely frowned. Behold the over simplification apparent in this Marketwatch headline: "FedEx shares down on outlook." And Seeking Alpha went with an alarmist: "FedEx: The Economy Is Weaker Than Expected." Ironically, the economy probably will be weaker than expected, especially in China and Europe. But there was more to FedEx's earnings--and multiple forecasts--than that. Investor's Business Daily touched its toe upon some of this complexity in a headline that at least tries to capture the whole picture: "FedEx Mails In Strong Profit Gain, But Shares Fall On Worries About Europe." Complexity does not always have to go to the media to die.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV