Stock Futures Mixed Ahead of Home Sales Data
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stock futures were pointing to a mixed start Friday as the markets awaited new-home sales data.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were losing 30 points, or 5.1 points below fair value, at 12,971. Futures for the S&P 500 were off 2.3 points, or 0.6 points below fair value, at 1387, implying that the benchmark stock index could extend its steepest weekly decline since December. Futures for the Nasdaq were behind by 1.8 points, or 2.2 points above fair value, at 2730.
U.S. stocks fell Thursday after economic data stoked fears about Europe slipping into a recession and slowing growth in China.
"Although China appears to have avoided a hard landing, we do not expect it to revert back to the double-digit growth trend of the past decade," Barclays researchers said in a quarterly publication.At 10 a.m., the Census Bureau is expected to say that sales of new single-family homes in the U.S. rose to a 325,000 annual rate in February, up from a 321,000 rate previously and the highest level in more than a year. Looking abroad, London's FTSE on Friday was dipping 0.1% and Germany's DAX was falling 0.13% after the Nationwide Building Society said that consumer confidence in the U.K. fell in February amid increasing joblessness and feeble economic growth. In Asia, Japan's Nikkei Average closed down 1.14% and Hong Kong's Hang Seng index also finished in negative territory, down 1.11%.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV