BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- I hope you're not a short seller.
If you are, you've probably gotten your hat handed to you in the last couple of months as the broad market ratcheted higher and investors' confidence in stocks strengthened. As I write, the S&P 500 has climbed more than 10% year-to-date. For shorts, that's a pretty nasty trend to try to bet against.
The argument to short a company can be compelling: from the economic collapse that's barely out of short-term memory for most market participants to individual factors like overleveraged balance sheets or unprofitable business models, there's no doubt that betting to the downside can generate gains in market conditions when few other strategies can. But when the market is roaring, short sellers can find themselves in a world of hurt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV