BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- I hope you're not a short seller.
If you are, you've probably gotten your hat handed to you in the last couple of months as the broad market ratcheted higher and investors' confidence in stocks strengthened. As I write, the S&P 500 has climbed more than 10% year-to-date. For shorts, that's a pretty nasty trend to try to bet against.
The argument to short a company can be compelling: from the economic collapse that's barely out of short-term memory for most market participants to individual factors like overleveraged balance sheets or unprofitable business models, there's no doubt that betting to the downside can generate gains in market conditions when few other strategies can. But when the market is roaring, short sellers can find themselves in a world of hurt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV