The original rule-making language regarding the loan guarantees was very clear on one point, though: The use of technology overseas did not bar it from being defined as "innovative" when applied to a U.S. project. Issa has to admit this at the end of his Agua Caliente project attack.
"While according to the rule, foreign commercial use of a technology is not a bar to deeming domestic use innovative, the broad commercial use in Europe reflects the disrespect DOE applies to the actual innovativeness requirement."
Sources in Washington familiar with the loan program also note that the "innovative" clause was voluntarily added by the Department of Energy to the rulemaking process for the loan guarantee program, as opposed to being in the original language of the Energy Policy or stimulus acts. This does not suggest that the DOE was trying to "sneak" anything past Congress.
In the end, all Issa has when it comes to Agua Caliente is a charge of "disrespect."In short, accuse, damn, accuse, damn some more, add a major "however" that shows you don't really have a legal leg to stand on, and then damn again before moving on.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV