BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- This week's Biotech Stock Mailbag opens with a question from @Nixon786:
"Why is Xoma up 50% for the month?"
The spark that sent Xoma (XOMA) shares higher was the $40 million financing announced March 6. Normally, dilutive financings undertaken by money-losing biotech firms don't send stock prices higher. That's particularly true for companies like Xoma with a sad history of drug development futility.
What's different here is that Baker Bros., a well-respected and closely followed health-care hedge fund, bought half the Xoma deal. RA Capital, a Boston-based hedge fund, was also a buyer of Xoma shares in the offering, according to regulatory filings.When Baker Bros. buys, other investors follow, especially when Baker Bros. buys big. The fund now owns about 20% of Xoma and I'm told will likely get a board seat. The fund tends to take large, long-term positions in drug and biotech companies it likes, including Seattle Genetics (SGEN), Incyte (INCY) and Viropharma (VPHM). The question you're probably asking now is, "Wait a second -- Xoma? What the hell can Baker Bros. see in Xoma?"
Owen S. asks: "What are your predictions for the FDA drug approvals next week involving MAP Pharmaceuticals (MAPP), Affymax (AFFY) and Chelsea Therapeutics (CHTP). And how do your predictions match up with investors you talk with on Wall Street?"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV