NEW YORK (TheStreet) - President Obama, his critics in the oil and gas industry, and the environmental lobby are all working overtime this week to gain leverage in debate about the U.S. oil boom and high gasoline prices. It's often wise to turn away from politicians and special interests groups for a dose of sanity.
Amid all the hoopla over U.S. oil and the Keystone XL pipeline -- whether it will actually raise gas prices, whether it's a gift to Canadian oil companies and won't even benefit the U.S., and whether the president is selling out the environment and a clean energy future -- Citigroup has released a report stating an obvious fact.
America is going to be a bigger and bigger player in the global energy supply equation, and that means there are stocks to buy and hold for the long-term to capitalize on this prominent energy production role. As Goldman Sachs came out this week with a "once in a generation" buy opportunity in equities, Citigroup is staking out a similar position about U.S. energy stocks specifically.
|Fracking stocks are just one of many ways to play the long-term boom in U.S. energy production.|
Citi dubbed the U.S. "The New Middle East" in a report from energy and industrials analysts and has highlighted 10 stocks it thinks portfolio managers should hold for the long-term to capitalize on the U.S. energy trend.The Citi report offers some hard numbers -- as well as heady economic assumptions -- to replace the rhetoric that has been ratcheted up as gas heads toward $5 in an election year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV