3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: March 22
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Entrepreneurs have five different personality characteristics. Which one are you? Are you a mover and shaker? An experimenter? A star pupil? A controller? A piece by Forbes Insights identifies five major personalities "crucial to fostering a healthy atmosphere of innovation within an organization," with some being more entrepreneurial while others are more process-oriented, but still critical.
"An effective and productive culture of innovation is like a good minestrone soup: it needs to have the right mix and balance of all the ingredients, otherwise it's completely unsuccessful, unbalanced -- and downright mushy," Forbes says.
2. Learn why many businesses fail. Running a successful business requires not only dedication to and passion for your product or service, but a level of detachment, according to Inc.com. When you're selling something close to your heart, emotions can easily get in the way of making sound business decisions. Sometimes that calls for letting others take control of positions and tasks that might be too hard for you as the business owner to do in an unbiased way, the article says.3. The SBA is launching an online supplier program. An initiative by the Small Business Administration will make it easier for small firms to get a share of major corporations' spending on goods and services, according to The Wall Street Journal . In Supplier-Connection.net, which the SBA is expected to launch today, business owners would fill out a central online application to become an accepted supplier to 15 major corporate partners, including Office Depot (ODP) Pfizer (PFE) and Caterpillar (CAT). The small businesses will still have to bid on specific vendor contracts, but the site "aims to make it easier for them to find vendor opportunities and connect with procurement officials," the article says. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV