lululemon athletica inc. (NASDAQ:LULU) (TSX:LLL) today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended January 29, 2012.
Christine Day, lululemon’s CEO, stated: “Reaching a billion dollars in revenue is clearly an important milestone that as a company we can all be very proud of. But far more important than the number itself are the beliefs, values, culture and people that achieved it. We really are so much more than our numbers; it is the everyday actions of our dedicated team that translates into an unparalleled guest experience and allows us to achieve our ultimate goal of elevating the world.”
For the fourth quarter ended January 29, 2012:
- Net revenue for the quarter increased 51.4% to $371.5 million from $245.4 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.
- Comparable stores sales for the fourth quarter increased by 26% on a constant dollar basis.
- Direct to consumer revenue increased 103.6% to $50.1 million, or 13.5% of net revenue, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, from 10.0% of net revenue in the same period last year.
- Gross profit for the quarter increased by 45.7% to $209.0 million, and as a percentage of net revenue gross profit decreased to 56.3% for the quarter from 58.5% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.
- Income from operations for the quarter increased by 62.8% to $116.1 million, and as a percentage of net revenue was 31.2% compared to 29.1% of net revenue in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.
- The tax rate for the quarter was 36.5% compared to 23.5% a year ago. The change in rate resulted from the prior year revision to managements plans for repatriation of unremitted earnings of the Canadian operating subsidiary.
- Presented on a post-split basis, diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $0.51 on net income of $73.5 million, compared to diluted earnings per share of $0.38 on net income of $54.8 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010.
For the fiscal year ended January 29, 2012:
- Net revenue for the fiscal year increased 40.6% to $1.0 billion from $711.7 million in fiscal 2010.
- Comparable stores sales for fiscal 2011 increased by 20% on a constant dollar basis, resulting in a record $2,004 annual sales per square foot for comp stores as at January 29, 2012.
- Direct to consumer revenue increased 85.4% to $106.3 million, or 10.6% of net revenue in fiscal 2011, from 8.1% of net revenue in fiscal 2010.
- Gross profit for fiscal 2011 increased by 44.1% to $569.3 million, from $394.9 million in fiscal 2010. As a percentage of net revenue, gross profit increased to 56.9% compared to 55.5% in fiscal 2010.
- Income from operations increased by 59.1% to $287.0 million, from $180.4 million in fiscal 2010. As a percentage of net revenue, income from operations increased to 28.7% compared to 25.3% of net revenue in fiscal 2010.
- The tax rate for fiscal 2011 was 36.1% compared to 33.3% for fiscal 2010. The change in tax rate was due to the proportional increase of taxable income in the United States compared to taxable income in Canada.
- Presented on a post-split basis, diluted earnings per share in fiscal 2011 increased 49.4% to $1.27 on net income of $184.1 million, compared to diluted earnings per share of $0.85 on net income of $121.8 million in fiscal 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV