JOHANNESBURG, March 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Gold Fields Limited (Gold Fields) (JSE, NYSE, NASDAQ Dubai: GFI) is pleased to announce that it has exercised its 40% option in the gold-copper Far Southeast Project in the Philippines after making a US$110-million payment this week.
On 20 September 2010 Gold Fields entered into two option agreements with Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company (Lepanto), 60% owner of Far Southeast, and Liberty Express Assets (Liberty), 40% owner of Far Southeast, granting Gold Fields an option to acquire a 60% interest in Far Southeast for a total consideration of US$340-million.
After making two down-payments of US$44-million and US$66-million in September 2010 and September 2011 respectively, Gold Fields has decided to bring forward half of the remaining US$220-million payment to acquire Liberty's 40% interest in Far Southeast.Gold Fields continues to hold its option to acquire an additional 20% stake in Far Southeast from Lepanto for a further US$110-million, which, if exercised, would increase its total interest in Far Southeast to 60%. The Liberty and Lepanto options were initially granted to Gold Fields for the later of 18 months from signature in September 2010 or the date of receiving a Financial or Technical Assistance Agreement (FTAA) for the project. A FTAA licence allows a foreign corporation to control a majority interest in a Philippine mining project. Notwithstanding this provision, Gold Fields has the discretion to exercise either option prior to the FTAA being granted. Gold Fields has decided to exercise the Liberty option earlier than originally planned due to the fact that:
- The due diligence results to date are positive and demonstrate significant upside to the resource potential;
- By acquiring ownership of 40% it demonstrates its commitment to the project and formalises its partnership with Lepanto; and
- The early exercise of the Liberty option does not affect the remaining 20% Lepanto option, which continues to be exercisable in accordance with the terms of the agreement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV