3 Reasons You Won't Give Up Your BlackBerry for Droid 3
2. Apps waste money.
Steve Jobs is no longer watching. It's OK to admit that apps kill your business. Where else in your shop would you possibly encourage employees to go to a bookstore or library, video store, read food reviews, look at maps for getting the hell out of Dodge and do 57 other pre-installed ways to waste time? The Droid 3 is by no means alone in bringing unneeded apps to office. But face it, this sort of do-it-all device is not suited for doing work. For work, you want something that does work. In other words, a BlackBerry.
3. It's just too %^&$#@# big.
Remarkably, my roughly 5-by-2.5-by-five-eighths-inch Droid 3 is svelte in these days of SUV-scale smartphones. Motorola deserves credit for stuffing what amounts to a mini typewriter into this thing. And in fairness, the Droid 3 compares favorably with other keyboard phones. Functionality is solid. The consumer smartphone user will find it fast and easy to us. But again, what you want is a work tool that helps enter data, answer messages and stay connected to tasks. And the Droid 3 and phones like it are just too big and too cumbersome to do that effectively.
I am absolutely, positively not saying the Droid 3 is a disaster. For consumers, it's a solid phone. Maybe even a great one. I am seeing a dangerous trend in businesses mobile usage now, though, in which otherwise sober communications infrastructure investments are being made in these sort of do-it-all smartphones that try to work both at home and at work.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV