NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Zynga (ZNGA) is expanding its business model, and trying to move past depending solely on Facebook, by announcing it will purchase the maker of the Draw Something game, OMGPOP.
|Zynga announced it would be buying OMGPOP|
AllThingsD first reported that a deal between the two companies was complete for a reported $200 million. Official terms of the deal were not released.
"The OMGPOP team has created a game that's fun, expressive and engenders real social interaction," said Zynga CEO and founder Mark Pincus in a press release. "Draw Something has captured the imagination of millions of people around the world. We love the way they've worked playful and relevant culture into their games from Devo to Daft Punk, from Lin to Beckham. We're honored to have the opportunity to partner with and support such an innovative team of creative inventors."
Zynga has been looking to get away from its dependency on Facebook. It recently launched its own portal Zynga.com, so users will not have to log onto Facebook when they are on the Internet to play the company's games.In Zynga's S-1 filing last year, the company specifically mentioned its relationship with Facebook as a primary risk factor. "We generate substantially all of our revenue and players through the Facebook platform and expect to continue to do so for the foreseeable future," it said. This could be a move to try diversify beyond the social-networking giant.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV