BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- "As Seen On TV" is no longer just a catchphrase for the gizmos pitched on late-night commercials. It has become a thriving retail category.
Products once sold by mail as "cash on delivery" are now point-of-sale. Retailers such as Target (TGT), CVS (CVS) and Walgreens (WAG) are devoting prime real estate to TV-hawked wares, often positioning them by checkout lanes for maximum exposure.
|Infomercial products are increasingly making the leap from late-night ads to store shelves.|
"It's been a long time in the making," says A.J. Khubani, founder and CEO of TeleBrands, explaining that his company first put a product on Wal-Mart (WMT) shelves nearly 23 years ago. "It really has started to grow at a more rapid pace in recent years."
Founded in 1983, New Jersey-based Telebrands is one of the nation's top direct television marketing companies. A pioneer of the TV "infomercial," its deep roster of products includes AmberVision sunglasses, the PedEgg foot file, Bake Pop, Bark Off, Heel-Tastic, PastaBoat, First Alert Alarm and Doggy Steps.TeleBrands saw sales increase by 20% from 2010 to last year. Much of that growth was fueled by in-store sales. According to Khubani, his company's growth during the past few years was in large part "triggered by the recession."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV