BOSTON (TheStreet) -- "As Seen On TV" is no longer just a catchphrase for the gizmos pitched on late-night commercials. It has become a thriving retail category.
Products once sold by mail as "cash on delivery" are now point-of-sale. Retailers such as Target (TGT), CVS (CVS) and Walgreens (WAG) are devoting prime real estate to TV-hawked wares, often positioning them by checkout lanes for maximum exposure.
|Infomercial products are increasingly making the leap from late-night ads to store shelves.|
"It's been a long time in the making," says A.J. Khubani, founder and CEO of TeleBrands, explaining that his company first put a product on Wal-Mart (WMT) shelves nearly 23 years ago. "It really has started to grow at a more rapid pace in recent years."
Founded in 1983, New Jersey-based Telebrands is one of the nation's top direct television marketing companies. A pioneer of the TV "infomercial," its deep roster of products includes AmberVision sunglasses, the PedEgg foot file, Bake Pop, Bark Off, Heel-Tastic, PastaBoat, First Alert Alarm and Doggy Steps.TeleBrands saw sales increase by 20% from 2010 to last year. Much of that growth was fueled by in-store sales. According to Khubani, his company's growth during the past few years was in large part "triggered by the recession."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV