NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. An argument for using Yelp to get more business. "Kind of like an Angie's List gone viral, Yelp (YELP - Get Report) has become one of the premiere Web sites to offer user-generated reviews," says Noobpreneur.
Small businesses can use the site to get more business because Yelp ranks fairly high in Google (GOOG) search, and even if a business does rank on the first page for local search term, one more listing surely couldn't hurt. It also is a good way to get feedback from customers, because those who had a bad experience with a company are more likely to leave a review than those who had a good experience, the article says.
Finally, it doesn't cost anything to list your business on Yelp. Be sure to fill out the entire business profile, including business hours, location and tons of photographs, though. This is essentially free advertising for your business, so play it up.2. Women-owned businesses are gaining ground. Women-owned firms continue to grow in number and economic stature in a broad range of industries, including traditionally male-led ones such as construction and transportation, according to the American Express (AXP - Get Report) OPEN State of Women-Owned Businesses Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts