Survey finds most Canadians have old devices lying around the house, but would like to trade them in
TORONTO, March 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - TELUS is making it even easier for customers to get into the latest, greatest wireless devices with the introduction of a trade-in program. TELUS' new trade-in program will reward customers with instant in-store credit for their unused devices while giving them a chance to dispose of their electronic waste safely and smartly.
"Putting our customers first is at the core of what we do at TELUS, and that means we are listening and understand they want to upgrade devices more easily and more often," said Brent Johnston, TELUS vice-president of mobility solutions. "Over the last few years, we've launched a number of initiatives making our service easier and more transparent. We have applied the same principles to our new trade-in program. It's a smart and future friendly way for our customers to get to their next device faster by trading in their current device for credit toward the latest and greatest smartphones and accessories."
The need for a trade-in program has never been greater. TELUS recently commissioned a survey to find out what Canadians do with their old devices, and found that 61 per cent said they have between one and five old cell phones lying around at home. That same number of Canadians surveyed, 61 per cent, said they would happily trade their old phones in if they would get something in return for doing so. Furthermore, Canadians are very concerned about the electronic waste piling up at home, with 82 per cent stating they would hand in their old phones if they knew they would be disposed of safety.Working in collaboration with eRecyclingCorps (eRC), TELUS is making its trade-in program available to all TELUS customers, both new and existing. As of today, customers can simply present their device at a TELUS store and will be offered a credit if the phone is recent enough that it can be refurbished or, if not, a donation of $3 to Tree Canada in their name toward the planting of a tree for each unit recycled. Customers can trade in up to three phones, mobile Internet keys or mobile Wi-Fi devices (with a maximum combined value of up to $200). Credits will be applied to device or accessory costs for a new activation or renewal at time of trade. "This research shows that Canadians not only want a hassle-free way to trade-in their retired devices, but they would also like to be rewarded. TELUS is partnering with eRecyclingCorps to give them exactly what they want - instant credit for devices right at the store," said David Edmondson, CEO of eRecyclingCorps. "The TELUS trade-in program makes it easy for customers to get credit toward the purchase of the latest phones and accessories while safely keeping their old phones out of landfills." The survey also found:
- 54 per cent of Canadians would like to recycle their cellphones but don't know how to
- 24 per cent of Canadians 18-34 years old see themselves as tech gurus and always use the latest wireless phone vs. 11 per cent for Canadians 35-54 years old
- Quebec is the champion of device recycling with 61 per cent of Quebecers recycling their old devices
- Clear and Simple rate plans with no system access and carrier 911 fees
- Flexible data rate plans to avoid bill shock
- Free SMS data usage notifications
- Device unlocking services
- International roaming rates that have been reduced by up to 60 per cent and are available without a complex travel pass
- Redefined device ownership terms that makes it easy to upgrade to the latest and greatest smartphones anytime.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV