SGI (NASDAQ: SGI), the trusted leader in technical computing, announced today that the Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST), a leading university in Nomi, Ishikawa Prefecture, headed by Dr. Takuya Katayama, has selected an SGI® UV™ 1000 high performance computing (HPC) solution for its next-generation science and technology simulation system. This SGI UV 1000, the most powerful model in the SGI UV series, features 192 sockets (1,536 cores) powered by Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family series plus 12TB of shared memory, and has begun operation at the Institute.
Since its establishment in April 1991, JAIST’s Research Center for Advanced Computing Infrastructure, under the direction of Koichiro Ochimizu, has deployed a wide variety of computer systems to support advancements in cutting-edge scientific and technological fields and respond to fast-paced changes. These resources have been provided to all of JAIST’s faculty and students. In recent years, system users have developed a need for faster, larger-scale simulations and the center responded to this need by upgrading its core information system to an SGI UV 1000 HPC solution, making it the largest single-system shared memory computer in Japan.
JAIST plans to utilize the system for the following purposes:
- Solid-state analysis and new materials development using high-speed simulations at molecular and atomic levels
- Development of medical diagnostic and treatment support systems using simulations of the flow of particles within the body
- Development of encryption technology for personal data protection and inference systems for artificial intelligence research
The SGI UV 1000 system provides two distinct advantages for JAIST. First, the system features a single, massive shared memory, which allows large-scale scientific and technological simulation programs to run without limits on memory usage. Second, the single Linux image facilitates sophisticated parallel processing, which is convenient for educational research.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV