SGI (NASDAQ: SGI), the trusted leader in technical computing, announced today that the Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST), a leading university in Nomi, Ishikawa Prefecture, headed by Dr. Takuya Katayama, has selected an SGI® UV™ 1000 high performance computing (HPC) solution for its next-generation science and technology simulation system. This SGI UV 1000, the most powerful model in the SGI UV series, features 192 sockets (1,536 cores) powered by Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family series plus 12TB of shared memory, and has begun operation at the Institute.
Since its establishment in April 1991, JAIST’s Research Center for Advanced Computing Infrastructure, under the direction of Koichiro Ochimizu, has deployed a wide variety of computer systems to support advancements in cutting-edge scientific and technological fields and respond to fast-paced changes. These resources have been provided to all of JAIST’s faculty and students. In recent years, system users have developed a need for faster, larger-scale simulations and the center responded to this need by upgrading its core information system to an SGI UV 1000 HPC solution, making it the largest single-system shared memory computer in Japan.
JAIST plans to utilize the system for the following purposes:
- Solid-state analysis and new materials development using high-speed simulations at molecular and atomic levels
- Development of medical diagnostic and treatment support systems using simulations of the flow of particles within the body
- Development of encryption technology for personal data protection and inference systems for artificial intelligence research
The SGI UV 1000 system provides two distinct advantages for JAIST. First, the system features a single, massive shared memory, which allows large-scale scientific and technological simulation programs to run without limits on memory usage. Second, the single Linux image facilitates sophisticated parallel processing, which is convenient for educational research.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV