This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

5 Stocks That Could Be Trampled

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player
 

1. Kosmos Energy (KOS - Get Report)  

A different breed of private equity investment compared with buyout deals, the Blackstone Group and Warburg Pincus's funding of Kosmos Energy is more of a large-scale oil exploration venture capital investment. In 2003, Blackstone and Warburg Pincus forked over $300 million to a management team looking to drill oil prospects offshore of Ghana. The company borrowed additional funds and it struck oil in the Jubilee oil field in 2007, which gave it a near 24% claim on what it's appraised as 120,000 barrels of oil per day.  

After striking oil, Kosmos Energy was reported to have received multi-billion dollar takeover bids from the likes of ExxonMobil (XOM), but its private equity backers decided on a May 2011 IPO. In the share sale, Kosmos Energy sold nearly 38 million shares at $18 each, raising $683 million.  

Since its IPO, Kosmos Energy shares are off over 25%, underperforming many oil industry peers on disappointing production at its Jubilee oil field. Nevertheless, analysts like Edward Westlake of Credit Suisse note that other wells in Ghana, Cameroon and Morocco exhibit promise to give the company a "outperform" rating and $25 a share price target. Overall, analysts polled by Bloomberg give Kosmos Energy a price target of $18.94 a share, with 11 "buys," 2 "holds and a "sell" recommendation.  

Nevertheless in a capital-intensive industry, there is the prospect of share dilution. Kosmos's closest private-equity oil exploration comparable  Cobalt International Energy (CIE) issued new shares to raise capital before reporting strong 2012 drilling results offshore of Angola that precipitated an over 100% stock rise since its December 2010 IPO. More crucial is Kosmos's significant private equity shareholding as the company's backers close in on a decade long holding period. In late February, Cobalt International Energy sold 15.7 million new shares and its private equity backers sold 31.3 million shares on the heels of a share surge.  

Warburg Pincus still holds a near 40% stake in Kosmos Energy, or over 154 million shares, while Blackstone holds an over 32% stake. Overall, the two investors hold nearly 72% of Kosmos's outstanding shares, according to Bloomberg data.

>>To see these stocks in action, visit the 5 Stocks That Could Be Trampled portfolio on Stockpickr.  

Written by Antoine Gara in New York.
6 of 6

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG
BKU $35.24 2.68%
DNKN $51.53 1.34%
HCA $88.84 2.17%
KOS $6.60 6.11%
KMI $32.00 3.93%

Markets

Chart of I:DJI
DOW 16,654.77 +369.26 2.27%
S&P 500 1,987.66 +47.15 2.43%
NASDAQ 4,812.7080 +115.1720 2.45%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs