GENEVA, March 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Genomic Health, Inc. (Nasdaq: GHDX) today announced results of three new Onco type DX® studies including data demonstrating the test's cost-effectiveness within the German and Hungarian healthcare systems, and Israeli data showing the test's impact on treatment decisions in early-stage invasive breast cancer patients with lymph-node positive status. These findings will be presented during poster sessions at the 8th European Breast Cancer Conference (EBCC) in Vienna, Austria, March 21-24.
"We now have eight clinical studies involving more than 5,000 patients across Europe, showing the value the Onco type DX test brings to patients, physicians and payors," said Christer Svedman, director, medical affairs in Europe, Genomic Health. "As international use of the Onco type DX breast cancer test increases, it's important to not only have strong clinical data but also to demonstrate that using the test is cost effective in different healthcare systems."
type DX breast cancer test has been shown to predict the likelihood of chemotherapy benefit as well as recurrence in early-stage breast cancer. Multiple studies conducted in
the United States have shown the use of the test to change treatment decisions in approximately 30 percent of patients. Additionally, nine health economic analyses have consistently demonstrated the cost effectiveness of Onco
type DX in the assessed healthcare systems in
Israel and North America.
Health Economics Analyses in Germany and Hungary Demonstrate Oncotype DX 's Cost Effectiveness
"As physicians, we are challenged to provide quality patient care while exercising economic sense. Onco type DX is a unique tool we can use to help guide treatment recommendations for early-stage breast cancer patients in a cost effective manner," said Wolfgang Eiermann, M.D., professor of gynecology, Interdisciplinary Oncology Center, Munich, Germany. "Onco type DX is already included in international clinical guidelines such as ESMO, St. Gallen, ASCO and NCCN(1) and our research demonstrates that Onco type DX is cost effective and impacts treatment decisions ensuring that the right patients benefit from chemotherapy, while others are spared unnecessary treatment and associated toxicities."
- The results of a large prospective German multicenter study involving 366 patients have shown that use of the Onco type DX changed initial recommendations in 33 percent of cases and demonstrate that using the test would be associated with an increased survival and be cost effective in Germany. "Using the 21-gene breast cancer assay in adjuvant decision-making in ER-positive (ER+) early breast cancer (EBC) is cost-effective: Results of a large prospective German multicenter study" (Abstract #302) will be presented on Friday, March 23.
- Additionally, a health economics analysis from Hungary finds the Onco type DX compares favorably with other oncology related health technologies being utilized in the country and that using the Onco type DX assay is likely to be cost effective in Hungary. "The impact of chemotherapeutic regimens on the cost-utility analysis of Onco type DX assay" (Abstract #347) will be presented on Thursday, March 22.
- In an evaluation of the relationship between the Recurrence Score® results and treatment decisions in patients with estrogen receptor-positive, node-positive, breast cancer in Israel, researchers found that patients who had the Onco type DX test were less likely to be recommended chemotherapy compared to patients who did not have the test even when adjusting for variables such as grade and nodal status (p<0.001). The study included 282 patients who received the Recurrence Score and 669 control patients who did not receive the test. "Recurrence Score (RS) and treatment decisions in node-positive (N+), estrogen receptor-positive (ER+) breast cancer patients in Israel" (Abstract #433) will be presented on Friday, March 23.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.