REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Oracle (ORCL) enjoyed a significant bottom-line beat in its third-quarter results, released after market close on Tuesday, comfortably surpassing Wall Street's profit estimates.
Excluding items, the database giant earned 62 cents a share in its fiscal third quarter ended Feb. 29, up 15% from the same period last year, and well above analysts' forecast of 56 cents a share.
|Oracle reported its third-quarter results after market close.|
Oracle, which posted disappointing second-quarter numbers in December, also brought in non-GAAP revenue of $9.06 billion, an increase of 3% on the prior year's quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for sales of $9.02 billion.
Investors responded positively to Oracle's numbers, pushing the company's stock up 95 cents, or 3.16%, to $31.05 in extended trading.Oracle's new software license revenue, a key performance metric, was up 7% year-over-year to $2.37 billion. Revenue from Oracle's hardware products fell 16% year-over-year to $869 million. "This past quarter Oracle delivered the hardware and software for our new extreme-performance Exalytics In-Memory Machine," said Larry Ellison, the Oracle CEO, in a statement. "At the core of Exalytics is our new in-memory database technology capable of instantaneous big data analysis; questions are answered at the speed of thought." Oracle's board also declared a quarterly cash dividend of 6 cents a share after market close on Tuesday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV