5. Amerco (UHAL)
Company profile: Amerco, with a market value of $2 billion, is parent company of U-Haul International which rents trucks, automobile trailers, and support products. It also owns the property insurer Republic Western Insurance, the life and health insurer Oxford Life Insurance, and Amerco Real Estate, which owns U-Haul properties.
Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 25% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 55%. Analysts give its shares two "buy" ratings according to a survey of analysts by S&P. For fiscal year 2012, analysts estimate it will earn $11 per share and that will grow by 13% to $12.47 in 2013.
4. Hertz Global Holdings (HTZ)Company profile: Hertz, with a market value of $6.3 billion, is one of the top three car-rental firms in North America. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 31% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 74%. Analysts give its shares six "buy" ratings, according to a survey of analysts by S&P. S&P doesn't have it rated, but reports that the technical indicators it tracks are currently "bullish." Hertz posted revenue of $8.3 billion last year and earned 40 cents per share after three straight losing years. 3. Avis Budget Group (CAR) Company profile: Avis, with a market value of $1.5 billion, rents cars and trucks under the Avis and Budget brand names. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 33% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 196%. Analysts give its shares six "buy" ratings, one "buy/hold," and one "hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. It's expected to earn $1.55 per share this year and grow that by 12% to $1.73 next year. Its revenue jumped 14% in 2011, but it posted a loss of 28 cents per share. 2. United Rentals (URI) Company profile: United Rentals, with a market value of $2.6 billion, rents and sells construction equipment, ranging from heavy machinery to hand tools, at more than 700 locations in the U.S. and Canada. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 42% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 119%. Analysts give its shares nine "buy" ratings, three "buy/holds," and one "hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. S&P has a "strong buy" rating on its shares and says "We see revenues rising 18% in 2012 after a 17% increase in 2011. We look for (the company) to benefit from higher rental rates and improved utilization stemming from better rental demand." United Rentals reached an agreement to buy competitor RSC Holdings for $4.2 billion last December in a deal that is still pending. 1. H&E Equipment Services (HEES) Company profile: H&E, with a market value of $720 million, sells, rents, and provides parts and service support for new and used heavy construction equipment, including cranes, earthmoving equipment, and industrial lift trucks. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 55% this year, 62% in the past three months, and have a three-year, average annual return of 51%. Analysts give its shares two "buy" ratings, three "buy/holds," and three "holds," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. "After rising 25% in 2011, revenues are seen growing 11% for 2012 and 8% for 2013," according to S&P Capital IQ, which has a "buy" rating on the shares. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 11 Rental-Industry Stocks Riding a Rebound portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV