Praise and Profit: How Religion Pays Off
BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Ask the devoted and they might say that their religion is priceless. Ledger sheets might say a different story.
Comparing organized religion to a corporation is a bit disingenuous. After all, a company isn't on a mission to give away most of what it takes in to promote good works throughout the world.
Companies also have far more public oversight than organized religion. In the U.S., investors demand transparency of firms, the SEC enforces and oversees their actions and independent auditors -- at least in theory -- ensure that each line item is on the up and up.
Churches? Not so much.Once a religion earns federal (as in IRS) recognition, it is freed from nearly all reporting requirements, even the rigorous standards most nonprofits must comply with. The typical company also has a clear seat of power. Religions, scattered around the globe with myriad power structures, lack a clear equivalent to the corporate headquarters. Despite both secrecy and fragmentation, there are still insights to be had into the wealth of organized religion. We looked at some of the ways money adds up for various denominations:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV