NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by throughout the week to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT) 0.7%
A strong earnings report has helped to propel Tiffany (TIF) to over 6% gains. This encouraging showing is helping to ignite some confidence in the retail sector and drive XRT to gains. OfficeMax (OMX) is another big winner. The firm is up over 4% during mid-day trading.
Questions have circled the U.S. consumers throughout the opening quarter of 2012. However, in looking at the steady climb seen from XRT, it has been difficult to doubt their resilience.
LosersiPath Dow Jones UBS Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN (GAZ) -16.3% Natural gas futures are taking a hit as China growth fears drive investors out of market-correlated assets. This is weighing heavily on the wildly volatile GAZ. The premium-laden ETN is giving back all of yesterday's gains and then some as we approach the end of trading. The United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) if off 1%. Market Vectors Coal ETF (KOL) -2.8% China growth concerns have cast a thick cloud of uncertainty over the materials sector. Fears of a slowdown are driving KOL back towards March lows. Meanwhile, losses have put an end to the Market Vectors Steel ETF's (SLX) five-day rally. Both KOL and SLX home in on very concentrated slices of the global marketplace. Investors willing to try their luck here should be sure to keep any exposure small and contained. iShares MSCI Russia Capped Index Fund (ERUS) -2.5% While China seems to be dominating headlines, pain can also be felt in other corners of the emerging world. Russia, for instance, is taking a hit as growth fears weigh heavily on the nation's massive energy sector. Gazprom (OGZPY) is off over 3% during mid-day trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV