A New Option for the Retirement Crowd
NEW YORK (CNBC) --As a growing number of Americans worry about outliving their retirement savings, the government is encouraging employers to offer an old-school, pension-style option for 401(k) holders.
The proposed revamp of retirement fund rules would make it easier for workers to convert part of their 401(k) savings into an annuity that would pay guaranteed income checks for life -- no matter the ups and downs in the markets.
And in keeping with the new assumptions about retirement, there is an unconventional component; a "longevity option" would let 401(k) savers take a lump sum portion at retirement age and defer it for 20 years, so retirees would start getting steady checks in the mail at age 85 and beyond.
More from CNBC
Social Influence Marketing is About to Change Your Business: Author of 'Return On Influence'
The New Shanghai Surprise: The Cost of Registering a Car
Geithner Warns Europe Against Draconian Austerity
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV