10 Things You Should Always Buy in Bulk
Toilet paper meets the main criteria for bulk-buying: It doesn't go bad, you're always going to need it and you use it all the time. Just make sure you have room for it in your house and that you buy a brand that you and your family actually like.
Leah Ingram, who writes the Suddenly Frugal blog, says that she gets twin 12-packs of Scott 1,000-roll toilet paper and uses a coupon, which brings the per-roll cost down from $1 to about 70 to 80 cents.
Needless to say, the same goes for paper towels, though Ingram notes that this isn't always the case -- she recounts how she recently used a coupon to get the cost of a single roll to 29 cents. Most of the time, though, you'll want to get a large package.Bottled beverages
"When my kids were very little, I only bought diapers in bulk from Sam's Club or BJ's," says Ingram. "I'd get 72- or 96-packs. If you were traveling, you'd have to have a suitcase for it." Buying a 100-pack of diapers might sound daunting -- in addition to the logistics of fitting it in your car and finding room in your house, it also reminds you that you'll be changing 100 diapers in the coming weeks. Still, doing it this way will save you money until you can get the kid potty-trained. Dog food and treats
Kendal Perez of the Hassle-Free Savings blog says that when she buys treats for her dogs, she goes big. How big? Try a 14-pound box of large Milk-Bone treats at Sam's Club, which can be had for around $10 and which she says is enough to last her two dogs for half a year. She also buys rawhide dog chews in bulk, though they don't last as long in her house. Just be careful that you don't buy dog food with an imminent expiration date. "Yes, dog food has an expiration date," House says. "Please do not feed your pets old, bad, outdated food. It does go bad and can mold."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV