10 Things You Should Always Buy in Bulk
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Here's the thing about buying in bulk: If you want to do it, you have to be really committed to it.
You can buy a mega-pack of paper towels at the drugstore on occasion and otherwise just shop normally, but the best bulk deals are to be found at warehouse club stores that require annual membership fees. (Costco (COST) and Sam's Club, for instance, will cost you $55 and $50 per year, respectively.)
So if you decide to take the plunge and sign up for the membership, you'll want to take full advantage of the best bulk-buying opportunities these stores have to offer. Here, then, are the things you should always aim to buy in bulk.
Normally perishable goods should be avoided at the bulk store, unless you're feeding one of those enormous families they make reality shows about. But one notable exception is meat, which tends to freeze well. If you eat meat on a regular basis, it makes sense to find it when it's on sale, buy a ton and put it in the freezer -- but be careful to seal and freeze it properly, and don't fool yourself into thinking it will last forever in there.
When you buy all that meat, you'll need something to store it in. The shopping experts at FatWallet.com point out that it's good to buy storage products such as foil, freezer bags and Tupperware (TUP) in bulk. As with anything you buy in bulk, just consider your usage. If you use Tupperware sparingly and tend to wash and reuse it, you probably don't need to take up space in your kitchen with a dozen plastic containers. If, on the other hand, you freeze a lot of bulk meat, you'll get a lot of use out of buying a ton of freezer bags.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV