Top 10 Things Romney Should Not Do If Elected
8. Withhold needed apologies. Romney's book, No Apologies, is a manifesto of American exceptionalism. He seems to think it unpatriotic ever to apologize for the U.S. (although he's acknowledged that it's sometimes acceptable to apologize for things our government has done). Unfortunately, the U.S. is made up of fallible human beings just like every other human institution on Earth, and sometimes our policies and actions cause offense abroad. If elected president, Romney will need to park his machismo and apologize when that happens.
9. Keep mum about his faith. Some voters admit to discomfort with Romney's Mormonism, but that discomfort might well be alleviated if they knew more about it. The Mormon Church is a respected institution to which millions of Americans belong. If, instead of sidestepping the matter, Romney were to educate voters, speaking directly and passionately about his beliefs, greater understanding might well breed acceptance.
10. Take premature positions. Candidate Romney has been accused more than once of flip-flopping on the issues. A careful review of his positions suggests, however, that his real problem may be jumping too soon to strong points of view, then having to backtrack to a more nuanced stance as factors contradicting him come to his attention. If elected president, Romney would be wise to ensure that his positions are well researched and defensible before going public with them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV